Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Paul's Chili

Paul was off work on vacation during the break between Christmas and New Year's Day. I was expecting that he would want to smoke meat, since that is what he enjoys doing on his time off. He opted not to smoke something, which was surprising to me; however, he came up with the beefy chili idea. I tend to make chili that is a bit lighter...like chicken or turkey, so I think it was fun for him to make a meaty/beefy dinner.

Trying to pin him down to tell his recipe was a bit difficult, but I think I have it all here. It was a trip around the pantry kind of recipe after he bought 2 lbs of ground chuck.

Brown 2 lbs ground chuck

In crockpot:
16 oz jar salsa verde (he used Trader Joe's brand)
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 "cube" chipotle in adobo from the freezer*
4 oz can diced green chiles
3 dried peppers, crushed (unknown kind)
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
2 t Hungarian paprika
2 t dried Thai chiles
1 t cayenne
about a 15 oz can's worth of black beans from the freezer
juice of 1/2 lime

Cook on low for 6 hours or so.

I'm not a huge beef fan, but this was good. I think it was even better since he made dinner AND cleaned the kitchen!

*I buy the canned chipotles in adobo, use what I need, and whir the rest in the food processor and freeze in ice cube trays. After frozen, I put the cubes in a ziploc bag and remove the cube to add to chili...or whatever recipe needing a bit of smoky spicy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin