Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Old Fashioned Gingerbread


I have made other gingerbread recipes over the years; however, this one came from the book Eleanor gave me for Christmas, About Breakfast and Brunch from the Joy of Cooking.

I made this for her for breakfast before swim practice on a cold winter morning of winter break. I had to adapt the original recipe a bit since I didn't have enough ginger. I was lucky to have some fresh ginger in my vegetable drawer, so I used some of that.

Sift together:
1 3/4 c flour
1 t bkg soda
1 T ground ginger (I used 1 t and 2 t or so of chopped fresh ginger)
2 t grd cinnamon
1/4 t grd cloves

In large bowl beat until creamy
1 stick butter, at room temp

Mix in 1 large egg
1/2 c brown sugar
Beat in:
1 c molasses (recipe says light, I used dark)

Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Add 1/2 c boiling water
Original recipe says to add 3 T crystallized ginger. I didn't do that.

Bake in greased 9 by 9 pan about 40 minutes. Use the toothpick method to check if it is done.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin