Friday, August 20, 2010

Stocking the Freezer - Presto Pesto


This summer I planted an entire package of basil seeds in 3 patio planters, allowed them to grow and didn't thin them at all...It was an experiment to see how many plants would actually thrive by being so crowded and to determine whether I really needed to thin them out. Its August, and I have planters brimming over with basil and every individual plant seems to be doing just fine! If I actually counted the individual plants, I would guess I have over 50 plants, but we have enjoyed it! Fresh basil right out the door daily! Now that it is August, I have started to harvest the basil. Today I gathered 4 cups of leaves and within 30 minutes I had pesto! Here's my recipe and how I store it...

4 cups basil leaves, compacted
4-6 garlic cloves
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup grated parmesan

Mince garlic in food processor, add basil leaves and pine nuts and chop finely. Add oil in a thin stream and then add cheese. Presto, you have Pesto!

I freeze the pesto in ice cube trays, this batch made one tray worth of pesto plus enough for a meal. Guess what we are having for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin