Saturday, August 7, 2010

Grilled Flatbread Pizzas

From Bup's Bistro

This week I am menu challenged because my son needs to eat dinner at 4:30 so he can make play practice at 5, while my husband doesn't get home until 7-7:30! I decided Grilled Flat Bread was the answer this evening.

Last summer, my blog mate Karen shared a grilled pizza recipe with me...we loved the finished product, but I found grilling the pizza dough a bit challenging! Earlier this summer I found a grilled flat bread recipe in a magazine while waiting for my daughter at the Orthodontist. I don't remember the magazine, but the recipe below is an adaptation of that recipe. It was a bit easier to execute than Karen's grilled pizza, though I'd love it if she would blog about it so we all could learn her secret to grilling fresh pizza dough!


Ingredients

4-6 flat breads(homemade or store bought, see below for homemade recipe)
Pizza sauce
Mozzerella cheese
Feta cheese
Baby spinach leaves
Marinated artichoke hearts
Fresh Tomatoes (I got yellow and red cherry/grape tomatoes from my CSA today)
Basil leaves
Olive Oil
Any other pizza toppings desired

Brush one side of flat bread with olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes, oil side down. Remove from grill, brush ungrilled side with oil and top pizzas as desired(place toppings on grilled side). Return to grill(obviously ungrilled side down), watch carefully and cook until all toppings are heated through. You may need to start over the flames and then move to indirect heat to get all the cheese melted without overcooking the flat bread.

The great thing about this recipe is everyone can make a personal pizza! My daughter sticks with her traditional cheese pizza with a sprinkle of feta and a little basil while the rest of us pile on the ingredients.

Homemade Flat Bread

Use any of the doughs from Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day or regular pizza dough.

Roll 3-4 ounces of dough flat, as thin as 1/8-1/4 inch thick on a pizza slide or silicone mat, making sure the dough slides easily.

Using a fork, poke lots of "holes" all over the dough. This is important so you don't end up with pita bread!

Preheat oven with a baking stone to 500°F for at least 20 minutes. Slide flat bread onto stone quickly and bake for about 5 minutes. Repeat process for as many flat breads as you need. These do freeze well for a quick mid-week dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin