Sunday, August 1, 2010

Thai Steak Salad


This salad was inspired by one that my husband raved about after a business trip to California. A number of recipes were combined...and a bit of creativity...and this was tonight's dinner! I was cycling tonight, so most of it was prepared ahead of time. Paul grilled the meat while I was gone and the meal was quickly assembled when I got home at dusk.

2 pieces beef tenderloin marinated in 2 T. canola oil, 2 T . ketchup, and 1 T. soy sauce for 4 hours or so. Grilled. Then cut into 1/4" slices against the grain.

Dressing: 2 T. canola oil, 4 T. fresh squeezed lime juice, 2 t. fish sauce, 1/2t. sugar, 1 t. minced ginger, 1/2 t. minced garlic, 1/4 t. salt

Salad: 6 c. chopped red leaf lettuce, 1/4 c. chopped mint leaves, 1 c. chopped cilantro leaves, 1/4 c. chopped red onion, 1 sliced tomato, chopped jalapeno.

The mint, tomato and jalapeno were from our container garden...but the cilantro (sadly) was not. The rest of the items were all from a grocery store expedition yesterday.

Here's the nifty lime squeezer we have. We saw Rick Bayless using it on his TV cooking show and knew it would come in handy. OK, we were thinking of using this for margaritas but it works for juicing limes for salad dressing as well! This really is a favorite kitchen gadget around here...if I had a lemon tree in my back yard I would get the slightly larger version of this in yellow. And, if I had an orange tree I would get the even larger version in orange:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin