Monday, November 19, 2012

Mushroom Stroganoff

Mushroom Stroganoff
I'm thinking about Noodles and Company....and love their mushroom stroganoff.  I thought it would be a good autumn dish...and I was right.  This is one of those recipes that tastes best the day it is made, so my recommendation is to make just what is needed.   It wasn't bad reheated....but not nearly as good as the first time around.

My version was adapted from skinnytaste.com...follow the link above to find her recipe.  I'm not usually a fan of low fat ingredients, so that's why I changed the sour cream to the real thing.  I tend more to being a whole food kind of person since I find a long list of ingredients a bit more frightening than a bit of fat.  But, that's just me.  Read a cool whip ingredient list and compare it to whipping cream....then tell me what you think:)  For sure there is room for disagreement on that one.

Anyway, I am back to blogging a bit.  I miss it since it is a fun hobby.  Not too much is new with us.....swimming for the girls (club season now), work and exercise and cooking and cleaning for me, traveling and doing his stuff for Paul.

Gearing up a bit for Thanksgiving....we are having it at our house!

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 5 oz sliced Cremini mushrooms
  • 8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
  • 3.5 oz Shiitake mushrooms
  • 1/4 tsp thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp red wine
  • 1/4 cup  sour cream
  • 8 oz uncooked noodles 
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish


Directions:

Cook noodles in a pot of salted water according to package directions, I like to under-cook them a bit so I can mix it with the sauce and let it finish cooking.

Meanwhile, while the water starts to boil for the noodles, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter over medium heat and add onions to the pan. Cook 2 - 3 minutes over medium-low heat.

Add flour; stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds. Gradually add broth, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; stir and cook 4-5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin