Wednesday, August 10, 2011

BLT pizza



This is another one of those.....alternative meal on a crust.

It's getting to be the good tomato season around here. Our garden hasn't produced good ones yet, but the tomatoes in the grocery store are getting closer to Wisconsin. I did end purchasing some from Michigan the other day since I hadn't gotten to a Farmer's Market yet. I'm hoping to get to one in the next few days but was juggling a few other things at the moment.

Really, what's not to like on a BLT? Eleanor would say tomatoes, I guess. But it's an awesome blend of flavors to me. The idea to put this on a pizza crust is from the book Pizza by James McNair book. I did a quick online search and found a number of recipes with this ingredient combination. The one I used was a bit different since the lettuce/greens are sauteed. It was a great volume reducer with CSA vegetables.

I sauteed the lettuce in a bit of olive oil and added 3 cloves of minced garlic. For the cheese...I used smoked mozzarella as called for in the recipe. The original recipe called for 3 c, but I used about 1 c shredded smoked mozzarella. Other than that, it's just how you see it in the picture.

Paul is not here for dinner this week....and Eleanor would eat noodles and Parmesan cheese and peas nearly every night. I like that too, and I can go quite a few nights eating that as well. But, sometimes a bit of variety is good. I thought I would make this pizza after her first day of high school swim practice, since I didn't work that day. It doesn't really seem like she can be getting ready for high school....time really does pass quickly. She had plenty to talk about comparing club swimming and high school swimming....and I'm glad we could talk about it over a nice dinner. The rest of the week will get a bit more hectic!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin