Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dutch Baby

Eleanor got a new cookbook for me for Christmas, All About Breakfast and Brunch. Actually, it was a good purchase for her since she will benefit from the new recipes in this book.

The first thing we tried was the recipe for a Dutch Baby which is a sweet pancake. We were interested in these after seeing a recent episode of America's Test Kitchen. It's a puff pancake, but the recipe is a bit different from the versions I have already posted. I know how we eat, so I made a triple batch. I guess she wasn't too hungry that day, so I did have enough batter to refrigerate for the next day to make them again.

The recipe I'm posting says it's enough for 2-4 servings.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

1/2 c milk
1/2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature

Melt butter in a 10" skillet over medium heat and add butter. Original recipe calls for 4 T; however, I used 1/2 T or so and brushed it around the pan. I didn't have a sticking problem, so it must have been enough.

Pour the batter into the skillet and cook without stirring for a minute or two.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes or so.
Serve immediately since it starts to lose the puff right away.

Eleanor put powdered sugar and lemon juice on hers and declared, "This tastes just like a doughnut!". I guess that means it's a keeper.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin