Saturday, April 30, 2011

Two Way Chicken

I think the more original of this recipe came out of a Mark Bittman cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World that I had checked out of the library. I'm not sure on that, but that's what I am remembering. I think there were two different ways to finish this recipe, thus the name; however, I have been making it one way for a couple years and don't even know what the other way is.

We have certain things that Eleanor likes me to make before we stay in the dorm together for violin camp...this is one of those recipes. It works well for that since it can be made ahead of time and kept in a container in the dormitory refrigerator until it is served at room temperature.

Anyway, we all like this recipe and it comes together in minutes, so that's two points in the recipe's favor. Maybe that's where the number "2" comes from.

1/2 to 2 lbs chicken, chopped into bite size pieces
3 T soy sauce
1/2 T minced garlic
1/2 T minced ginger
1 t red pepper flakes

Combine above ingredients and marinate for hours. Overnight is best; however, I usually do it in the morning and make the chicken in the evening.
In 1 T oil brown chicken(picture above) and remove from pan.

To make this a one-pan meal, I have added chopped red bell pepper and bite size pieces of broccoli and removed that from the pan along with the chicken(picture left).






May need to add a small amount of oil. Add:
1/2 T each additional garlic and ginger


Add:
2 T sugar
2 T fish sauce

Cook until foamy and return chicken (and veggies, if using) to the pan.



Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro and serve over rice.

Print Page

1 comment:

pin