Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Winter Squash Purée

This recipe was born after having a recipe for Butternut Squash Ravioli fail miserably. The recipe called for making a squash mixture and then filling wonton wrappers like ravioli. It was a complete failure! The wonton wrappers took on a slimy consistency and it just wasn't ravioli in the end. The filling, however, was yummy, so I decided I had to try again.
Purée before adding cheeses and seasonings

Ingredients

1 lb butternut squash or 2 cups cooked squash purée
1/3 cup chopped shallot
1/4-1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan
Salt and pepper

It is winter squash season in the CSA box and I have acorn, ambercup, hubbard, carnival and spaghetti squash on hand. I cut the squash, took out the seeds and baked the squash, cut side down, on a cookie sheet until tender, usually 30-40 minutes at 400°F. While it was cooking I sautéed 2 shallots in butter and added 2-3 minced sage leaves. Once the squash was cooked, I puréed all the cooked squash together. I am not a fan of spaghetti squash, so this way I use the squash but I don't have to taste it! I put 2 cups of the  squash mixture in with the shallots and added the ricotta and parmesan cheese. This makes a great side dish for almost anything, tasty and creamy and the shallots and sage do wonders. The remainder of the plain squash purée I froze in 2 cups containers so  we can enjoy this dish all winter long! Once the purée was made and the plain purée was put away I realized I really wanted to make the ravioli. I'll save that for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin