Friday, November 5, 2010

Winter Squash and Plain Cheese Ravioli

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was determined to make the squash ravioli work.


A long time ago I had a very basic pasta roller...it was lost along the way in one move or another, but I remember that it was A) not very expensive and B) really easy to use. I decided I needed to add a pasta roller to my kitchen again, so with my 20% off coupon to Bed, Bath and Beyond, I set off to buy this kitchen utensil. It set me back about $28, but I am sure I will get plenty of use out of it. Besides, I get to try the ravioli again!

In order to make this ravioli, you first have to make the seasoned winter squash purée recipe I posted on 11/2. Or you can just make plain cheese ravioli...the recipe is below and I have posted pictures of the ravioli making process. I forgot to take pictures when I was making the squash recipe, so the pictures are from the cheese ravioli, but the process is the same.

The Pasta - one batch enough for either cheese or squash...double to make both

3 eggs
1/2 t salt
21/2 cups flour
water as needed

Place the flour in a food processor fitted with a blending blade. Gently scramble eggs and add to the flour through the feed tube. Add water 1 T at at time and blend until dough forms a ball. Knead 6-8 times and wrap in plastic wrap. Allow the dough to sit for 30 minutes. Cut the pasta into 8 equal parts. Using a pasta roller, follow the manufacturer's directions and make pasta sheets. I usually make 2 at a time, make some ravioli and repeat...this way the dough doesn't dry out. To make the ravioli, place 1-2 t of filling(either cheese or squash) on the pasta sheet, approximately 1 inch apart. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the pasta with water so that when you lay the second sheet of pasta on top to form the ravioli, the pasta sticks together. Using a knife or pastry wheel, cut the raviolis apart and place them on parchment paper to dry. Save the scrap pasta, you can use it to make more pasta sheets. I usually freeze the ravioli by stacking the parchment paper on a plate and placing the plate in the freezer. Once the ravioli is frozen, I transfer it to a ziploc bag.



Cheese Ravioli Filling - Basic Recipe

1 cup Ricotta cheese(I use fat-free)
1 1/2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and use to fill the ravioli...

This is a rainy day project...it is time consuming, so make sure you have enough time to complete the process. Also, DON'T STACK THE RAVIOLI ON TOP OF EACH OTHER...ONE LAYER AT A TIME OR THEY WILL STICK TOGETHER FOREVER!

I served this ravioli with butter and pine nuts...forgot the picture again, sorry.  The cheese ravioli would be great with a marinara sauce. The butternut squash would be awesome with browned butter...both were great!

Enhanced by Zemanta
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin