Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eggplant and Potato Masala


Indian food....I'll put that with beets as far as the love it or hate it category. We love it...although not too frequently. Years ago I went to some Indian cooking classes taught by a local woman who had just published a cookbook, Healthy South Indian Cooking. She lives in Whitefish Bay, so I did buy the book to support her cooking efforts and have found that I have used it frequently...not daily....but every couple months or so. It is a nice reference if you're looking to get out of a dinner rut. And, hey, mine is autographed!

The recipe I made is an adaptation of her Eggplant and Potato Masala.

2 T canola oil
2 med potatoes, cut into smallish chunks
1 small eggplant, cut into similar size chunks
small piece of cinnamon stick
1 t cumin seeds
1/2 c onion, chopped
1 t turmeric
1 t cayenne (or to taste)
1 t salt
1/4 t curry powder
14 oz can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
1 T unsweetened coconut (optional)
cilantro, optional

Heat oil in skillet. When it is hot, but not smoking, add cinnamon stick and cumin seeds. cover and fry for a couple minutes (until seeds are brown). Add onion and stir fry for a bit. Add potatoes and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or so stirring nearly the entire time. Add eggplant, cayenne, salt, curry, and tomatoes. Stir in 1/4 c water so so. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender (checking to make sure the mixture is moist. If not, add 1/4 c of water).

I happened to have shredded coconut in my freezer from some Asian recipe from long ago, so I did add it. BUT, I assure you, it is fine without this. I also added some cilantro since I had a bunch in the refrigerator that wasn't going to make it a few more days. Both of these are optional!

I threw in a diced jalapeno with the onions just because I had it from our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin