Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lemon Squares


A version of lemon squares is a violin camp favorite. Violin camp, besides being about the violin, is all about tradition. Having our friend Carol make these for the week is part of the tradition...one I hope continues for a long time!

Recently I came across this version which is a bit lower fat than the original. I don't think it gives away too many of the other good qualities with this dessert and it does make it seem OK to make it other than just having hers once a year.

The picture is made with lime juice and lime zest instead of lemon because I bought a large bag of limes at the warehouse club and needed to use them. They are so much cheaper there..and I did need them for some recipes...and we have used them in drinking water. I still had a few left (fortunately) so I made these.

Maybe desserts don't really belong on a blog about getting dinner on the table, but I'm thinking of the dessert recipes as a "bonus". They're being posted on days when I don't have anything else to post, so...that's my story!

Here's the bonus recipe of the week:
Base:
1 c. flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c oats
3 T. butter
Combine ingredients with a pastry blender. Press into a sprayed 8 inch baking dish and bake 10 minutes in an oven that was reheated to 350 degrees.

While the base is baking make the topping:
1 egg
1 egg white
1 c sugar
3 T. flour
1/4 t baking powder
juice of one lime and some lime zest.
Whisk all ingredients together and pour over baked base.

Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool.
Top with powdered sugar or with powdered sugar mixed with lime juice.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin