Saturday, November 13, 2010

Two Bean Burritos


Two Bean...three. This recipe was in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel years ago. I copied it and have made it countless times. I did search online for the original recipe and couldn't find it; however, the credit (if you like it) is not mine. It belongs to The Outpost, a local coop grocery store.

1 small white onion, diced
2 T canola oil
2 gloves, garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced
2 t grd cumin
2 t chili powder
1/2 t sugar
1 can pinto beans, drained
2 cans back beans, drained
(I have used any three cans of beans combined. For the picture I used 1 can navy beans, 1 can black beans, and 1 can refried beans...I'm all about what's in the pantry!!)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bunch cilantro
cheese..original recipe called for 1/3 lb cheddar and 1/4 lb Monterey Jack. I usually use 1-2 c. cheddar and skip the Monterey Jack...just because that's what I usually have on hand and it decreases the fat a bit to decrease the amount of cheese.
6 flour tortillas

Saute onions in hot oil until soft. Add garlic, peppers, cumin, chili powder, and sugar. cook until soft. Remove from heat and add beans (mashing them a bit, cilantro, and green onion.

Often (like today), I'll put this mixture in the refrigerator and assemble them closer to dinner. Sometimes I will roll the tortillas with the mixture and cover the pans in the fridge...then I just have to preheat the oven and bake when I get home. Tonight I was home at 6:00 or so, so I had enough time to assemble and bake them right before eating.

Add the cheese to the cooled bean mixture. Fill the tortillas and roll placing on a sprayed baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees. Serve with salsa. OR...you could roll and put them in a baking dish and pour salsa over the top and serve them as smothered burritos.

Leftovers are great for lunch the next day.

Just a note, this is fine without the cilantro or green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin