Friday, November 19, 2010

Quiche

 When we were living in France, we had quiche frequently. Meat is extremely expensive in Europe and the cuts are different as well, so we rarely ate red meat. The one Christmas we stayed in France and family visited us, I paid close to $100 for a roast for Christmas dinner, and that was in 1994! Quiche can be made with just about anything and it is often made with "remnants" from the refrigerator. It is also packed with inexpensive protein from the eggs. Today I have about 1/2 lb of bacon that needs to be eaten, so I will build my quiche around that. I also have some cooked greens(I think it is kale) in the freezer, so I will use that as well. I always use a rolled, ready made pie crust, such as Pillsbury, for my quiche.  I also find the store brands are just as good and less expensive. They store well in the freezer, so I always have them on hand.

1/2 lb bacon, chopped
1 small onion (about 1/2 cup diced)
1 cup cooked spinach or other green(frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry works well)
1 cup shredded cheese, I usually use swiss or cheddar
6-8 eggs (depends on the depth of your pie plate)
1/2-1 cup milk
1/2 t nutmeg
Salt and Pepper

Cook bacon...drain on paper towel and drain off most of the fat. Add onion to the remaining bacon fat and sauté until transluscent. Place pie crust in the pie plate and add bacon, onion and greens. Sprinkle with grated cheese. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour over the ingredients in the pie plate. Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown and set.

I usually serve this with a green salad and fresh bread...in the summer it is usually a fruit salad. This is also a great leftover for the lunchbox.

One final note...I accidentally bought low-fat cheddar cheese slices...I used this cheese in the quiche. Just as I buried the squash in the "pumpkin" pancakes, I used up some less desirable cheese in the quiche and I avoided wasting it!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin