Thursday, August 16, 2012

Blueberry Basil Smoothie

Blueberry and Lemon and Basil Smoothie
I found this online searching a recipe of this nature.  I figured I could make something up with these ingredients, but I wanted to see what was already out there in cyberspace.  Eleanor had been wanting to try a smoothie with these ingredients after having one at violin camp after I left.  I found this one, but it didn't seem like it was even close to what she had.  But, maybe I'll try this one in the future.

On the walk from the dorm to the classroom at ASI (American Suzuki Institute) at UWSP (University of Wisconsin Stevens Point) there is an awesome little coffee shop and bakery, Zest. It's just the place I want to own...a few sandwiches, a few beverages all in a funky little place.  I don't have a link the their website since I couldn't locate a website.  That's one complaint I have about this place.  The other one is that they don't open early enough to accommodate my early rising.  Both are very very tiny complaints that are far exceeded by my love of this place.  They do feature some local items on their menu as well as stocking some gift items made by local people as well as a selection of games and slippers.  It's rare that I purchase a book, being the library user that I am; however, I did purchase a book that appealed to me at this store.  The book is Whipped, Not Beaten published by the UWSP press.  It was the perfect read for my few days in the dorm.

Anyway, in addition to sandwiches and flatbreads...nothing too different there (but delicious) there are some more unusual latte beverages.  Berry and basil latte.  Jasmine and white chocolate latte.  And some fun smoothies like lemon and blueberry and basil smoothie.  There weren't enough beverage opportunities in the day for me to try them all, so I had to try the blueberry, lemon, basil smoothie at home.

There have been a few interesting coffee things happening in the area of campus over the 10 years we have gone to this camp (that's right....10 years of violin camp)!  It's just the place that you don't want to leave...this world as Shinichi Suzuki envisioned it.  It's a happy place overall...and for me I am now leaving with tears in my eyes knowing there are just a couple more in my future.  I'm hoping to convince my young niece to take violin so I can go there another 12 years or so!  It must be a happy place that I am willing to take my precious vacation days to stay in a dorm room! Air conditioning and fitted bottom sheets arrived on the scene recently; however, there are still challenges of staying in the dorm.

There's a kitchen down the hall, and some families make coffee there.  I, on the other hand, have always used the week to get coffee from somewhere...something I do rarely when I am home.  As if fitted bottom sheets weren't enough fun, I can add a funky coffee shop to the mix!  The first year I attended there was one little local gourmet coffee place. A couple years later it went out of business about the time Starbuck's moved in (we were assured that didn't cause it...there probably was enough business for both; however, the owners of the indie coffee shop have another one and felt that there business needed to be in one location only).  We had a couple years with Starbucks being the only option...and voila....Zest appeared a couple years ago.  The food is a nice addition as well.  And, I'm really glad to see the place hopping, at least during music camp.


Blueberry, Basil, and Lemon Smoothie
1 1/2 c blueberries
juice of one lemon
1/2 c basil
1/2 c+ soy milk
2 T plain yogurt
1 T ground flax seed
Blend everything together.  Pour into a glass.  Enjoy:)


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin