Friday, November 4, 2011

Winter Squash Overload!

 The CSA is wrapping up its summer deliveries and moving into fall. Over the last few weeks I have received the squash above plus 4 others! Unfortunately, my family isn't big into squash. I am always amazed at how Karen is able to make all these squash filled dishes...won't fly here!

Today I decided to break down the squash and now I only have the two butternut squash, the bright orange squash and the hubbard squash left.  I started with the pumpkin...I cooked it in the microwave, scooped out the flesh, pureed it in the food processor and have 5 cups of pumpkin puree to use for pies or future baked goods. I also have pumpkin seeds which Meghan is thrilled about!

I then cut all the other squash in half, scooped out the seeds and threw them on a baking pan and put them in the oven until they were cooked.  This I also pureed and will use in soups, pies, muffins, breads etc for the rest of the winter.

I'm sure I will be getting more squash...I'll have to find a few more recipes...



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin