Monday, April 22, 2013

Balsamic Strawberry Pizza

Strawberry Balsamic Pizza

Not sure how I ran across this recipe, but I thought it sounded fabulous, with a few modifications, of course.
We were grilling on Sunday....just wishing for springtime in Wisconsin and I thought we should grill a few extra chicken breasts to have on hand.  I knew I would be using a couple for this.  We were also grilling a few sausage samples from a European sausage shop in Milwaukee.  We're avid watchers of Wisconsin Foodie on PBS...and this was a featured location a couple episodes back.  So glad that we finally made it to
the place.  It's one of the things I love about Milwaukee...easy to hit this place, a Mexican grocery store, and Asian grocery store, and an Italian grocery store in a morning.

Back to the pizza....
The link above will take you to the original version of this; but I made so many variations I'll need to outline them below.
I made my thin crust...the no rise kind; however, I made it before work and let it rise (and probably fall) all day.  Easy to form into a pizza shape when I got home from work.
The original recipe called for strawberry jam....just a bit too sweet for me, so I didn't use that.
In addition to making the crust in the morning I fried 3 strips of bacon and kept that in the refrigerator for easy assembly.  I really can't do more than that after a long day at work.  And a long day it was....as we were leaving my co-worker told me to have a good weekend.  Yep, it felt like 5 days' worth of work in one.

Pizza crust
Top with mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 c)
sliced chicken breasts (2)
bacon pieces
cut strawberries (3)
sprinkle with balsamic vinegar (about 2 teaspoons)
Top with Parmesan cheese

After it came out of the oven I topped it with arugula.
Great flavors and textures.......this will be made again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

pin