Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bang Thai Curry

I had this recipe in my file for a number of years but didn't make it.  We like (OK...love) curry dishes; however, there are only so many meals to make and so many times we want curry.  But, I'm not sure why I waited.  This one is going into the rotation of meals at this house since it comes together quickly and is tasty.

The restaurant, Bang Thai, was formerly in a 'burb to the north.  We don't eat out very often...but when the restaurant was around we were really into very few meals out of the house.  And even fewer meals to the north of our house since we tend to want to head more downtown than suburban when the urge to eat out hits us.  Anyway, we knew the owner from the Y, and we are always looking for good Thai food, so we did stop once or twice.

This recipe is a keeper.....glad I kept it this long and will make it more frequently now that it's in my mind.  I did not get a picture of this delightful dish, so next time I make it I hope to remember to do that.

1 T green curry paste
3 T vegetable oil
2 c chicken breast
2 t curry powder
2 c coconut milk (I used lite...and Trader Joe's brand)
1 c water
1 c cubed potatoes
1/2 c cubed white onion
1/2 c cubed tomato (I omitted)
3-4 t fish sauce (I used the brand from the Asian grocery store)
1 t sugar
1/4 c green onion
cilantro

Heat pan and then add curry paste and oil.  mix well stirring 1 min.  Add chicken and curry powder.  Stir well and add coconut milk. Add water, potato, and onion and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and cook until potato is tender.  Add tomato (if using), fish sauce, and sugar.  Cook 5- 10 minutes.

Top with green onion and cilantro and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

pin