Sunday, April 14, 2013

Red Quinoa Salad

Red Quinoa Salad

I found this recipe while browsing for a quinoa recipe.  I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit torn about using quinoa since reading about how devastating it is for Bolivia to have all of us eating it; I'm referring to this NYT article.  Yikes.....just when you think that you're doing something good.  I mean, a plant based food....should be better for the planet.  It's a "good for your body food".  I think I'm helping some farmer in a 3rd world country.  I feel so unaware since I hadn't thought about the price increase for the people of Bolivia when I eat this grain.  So, now it's with a bit of guilt that I share this recipe.

I made this, and I made chicken soup just to have a couple items for lunches this week since I have been a bit lazy and relied on the sandwich a bit more than I had in the past.  I was pretty well stocked with granola from last weekend, so I didn't make any more.  That's my usual weekend duty....make sure I have a few of these types of things for filler for the week.  I am a meal planner, in general, since it makes the week go much smoother.  Here's my list of meals for the week:

Pho Noodle Bowl
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
Crockpot Pork Tacos
Chicken Wraps
Vegetable Paninis
Vegetable Curry

Warmer weather doesn't seem to be on its way to Milwaukee this year.  For sure not this week, so the crockpot meals are still sounding good.  Soon we'll have spring greens and fresh local items....

Also, this weekend I have a craving for hibiscus infusion water.  That's probably from being at XOCO a couple weeks ago!  My plan is to get to the southside of Milwaukee for some good Mexican cooking ingredients.  It's been a pretty laid back weekend for us with a bit of yoga, running, cello, gym-time, violin, homework, cleaning, and organizing.  Club swimming resumes Monday, so it's back the usual level of entropy around here!

Red Quinoa Salad

  1. 2 teaspoons paprika
  2. 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  3. 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  4. 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  5. 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  6. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  7. 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  8. 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  9. Freshly ground black pepper
  10. 4 large carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise
  11. 1  onion, thinly sliced
  12. 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  13. 1 cup red quinoa
  14. 2 cups water
  15. 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  16. 5 ounces mixed salad greens
  17. 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  18. 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  19. 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small bowl, whisk the paprika with the turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, cardamom and 1 teaspoon each of black pepper. In a medium bowl, toss the carrots with the onion and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add 1 tablespoon of the spice mix and toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tender.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 teaspoons of the spice mix and the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 17 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and let cool slightly.
  3. Spread the greens on a large platter. In the same bowl, whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and the zest, and 1 teaspoon of the spice mix; season with salt, if needed. Add the quinoa, cranberries, parsley and roasted vegetables and toss well. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

pin