Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Brussels Sprout, Bacon, and Cheese Pizza

This was a good find....and really, how can one go wrong with bacon, goat cheese, and Brussels sprouts?

I saw this on Nicole's website, preventionrd.com.  Of course my own spin was needed on this one; however, I did stick as close as I could remember to the original.  Sometimes I will print off the recipe or take the computer into the kitchen; however, this one was a read, memorize, and make.  Hmm....guess my memory isn't as good as I thought it was.  I think her version with balsamic vinegar sounds better than my version....although mine was good too.



Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pizza adapted preventionrd.com
1 lb pizza dough  (I used the quick recipe with part whole wheat and part white flour)
4 pieces of bacon, chopped
10 brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced

3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced

1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
3 oz fontina, shredded
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
Directions:
Preheat to 500 degrees.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium skillet, stirring often, until just crispy and lightly browned, 4-5 minutes.  Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and drain a bit of the grease.  To the bacon drippings, add the brussels sprouts, red onion, garlic and  saute 2-3 minutes or until brussels sprouts are slightly softened. Remove from heat.
Stretch the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle.  Sprinkle the dough with the fontina, leaving a thin border around the edge.  Evenly distribute the brussels sprouts mixture, then top with the bacon.  Top with goat cheese.
Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the toppings are cooked through.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool 2-3 minutes before slicing and serving.
I was a bit concerned on the crowd pleasing score....but no worries.  Everyone raved about it!


Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, Goat Cheese Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin