Saturday, March 26, 2011

Squash Risotto


I love making risotto...just because 30 minutes or so must be spent at the stove stirring with very little multi-tasking going on. For that reason(the 30 minutes with little multi-tasking), I don't make risotto too often anymore. Usually dinner needs to be on our table a bit faster than that and usually something else needs to be done. However, I did decide that it would be a fun dinner to have on a Tuesday night, the night we're home early.

Over the years I have put just about anything into this creamy rice dish. It does work well for using up odds and ends in the refrigerator and disguising them as a new meal. Here's my general guide for making it, but it really is a meal where anything you have can be tossed into the rice.

The required ingredient is arborio rice. From there, creativity and leftovers can take over. In the picture in this post, this is how I made it.

Heat large can chicken broth in a saucepan.

In the pan for the risotto (I used a stockpot):
Saute 2 slices bacon
Add 1/2 onion, chopped
1 butternut squash, cubed into 1/2" cubes
Add 3 c arborio rice and stir continuously. Add 1 c white wine( I used one of my favorite wines for cooking...Tisdale) and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add 1/2 c or so of broth every few minutes stirring until the liquid is absorbed and then adding more. Continue this until the rice is tender. In the middle of this process I added 1/2 T or so of dried thyme and 1/2 T or so of dried basil.

When finished top with Parmesan cheese and pepper and serve.

The vegetables and herbs used can be changed to match what you have.

Here's my interesting note about Tisdale...it's Sendik's version of Two buck Chuck at $2.99 per bottle. In the grocery store I saw the owner of an upscale Milwaukee restaurant buying it for the house wine at his fancy restaurant when it was on sale for 50% off. Now that's some profit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin