Sunday, March 20, 2011

Squash and Sausage



This idea comes to me from my friend, Dee. Eleanor always thinks that her food tastes the best, even if I use the same recipe. That being said, she is an excellent cook...and you can expect to see more of her recipes on this blog. She emailed this one to me telling me that she had adapted it from an English blog she follows.

Dee suggests using pork cranberry maple breakfast links made at our local, Sendiks. She did mention she thought this is going to be a seasonal item, and they didn't have them when I made this recipe. Instead, I got spicy Italian sausage for us and turkey breakfast links for Eleanor. I'm still planning on making this with the suggested sausage, but I will probably make it again this winter.....tasty and minimal work. I served it with some of the Trader Joe's harvest blend grains.

The only problem for me with this recipe is that it takes an hour to make, so I made it on a Sunday when I am home an hour before dinner. Eleanor took the leftovers in her lunch the next day, so it was a good way to start the week.

Dee's suggestion is to line a baking pan or cookie sheet with foil to make the clean up easier. I didn't do that and found it was moist enough to have fairly easy clean up.

Peel the squash and cut into 1 inch cubes. Toss in a bowl with a bit of olive oil and rosemary and thyme . Dee used dried spices...and so did I...and it was fine. I used thyme and basil. Spread the squash on one side of the pan. Add a couple cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed a bit.

There should be a little olive oil/herb mixture left in the bowl. Roll the sausage in it and place on the other side of the pan.

Tightly seal with foil and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes. Remove foil, stir the squash, and turn the sausages. Bake another 10-20 minutes until the squash starts to turn golden and the sausages are brown.

Dee's hint is that the squash my need to be removed while continuing to cook the sausages. Mine finished together...and it was good!

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin