Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rice Pudding


COMFORT FOOD!

Paul is not a rice pudding fan, so I try to make it when he's traveling for work. I think it's because he's had too much conji in Asia, but he claims that it has to do with glorified rice being popular in his youth. Either way, the result is the same.....he's not eating any! You can check out the link above if you are interested in a recipe for conji in the crockpot. I have enclosed the link to wikipedia for glorified rice and did notice that there are some recipes for it online. It's a Minnesota thing, I think.

Back to rice pudding. This is a recipe that Eleanor got in 3rd grade when her class put together a cookbook with family recipes and stories about family heritage. Each child submitted a recipe and a family history, and this was her classmate Colleen's addition to the book.

It's our favorite rice pudding recipe and I am working on adapting it to the crockpot. The original recipe calls for whole milk, and I have gotten some to make this; however, usually I use skim. It's a great recipe to make when I have a surplus of milk and our milkman, Larry, is going to come with the delivery from lwdairy. Check out my link to the dairy delivery we use since we are fortunate to get local milk delivered to our door in a milk box on our front porch.

In a colander rinse 3/4 c rice in cold water
Add: 2 quarts milk...the original recipe called for whole milk
3 T butter
3/4 c sugar
3/4 t cinnamon (our addition to Colleen's recipe)
grates of nutmeg
2 T vanilla
Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for a couple hours stirring several times during baking. The original recipe says to cool and refrigerate it before eating, but Eleanor and I like it hot as well as cold.

Serve with diced apples, raisins, etc.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin