Saturday, February 26, 2011

Crepes


I know that crepes aren't only for breakfast, but that's the way we eat them at our house most of the time. I'm always looking for my ideas for hot breakfasts, and this is one that I will make frequently. It is a bit labor intensive, so I usually make them on a day that I don't need to get myself ready for work too. The secret (for me anyway) is to get the pan hot enough before starting. I make them in my small non-stick skillet and have found them easy to flip.

It's best if I get a headstart on these because Eleanor can usually eat the entire batch quickly.

This recipe comes from the Ovens of Brittany cookbook.....a restaurant that will probably stir fond memories for anyone living in Madison in the 80s. It was the restaurant that you would like to have your parents take you when they came to town. Their morning buns and a cup of tea were delicious. The restaurants were the midwest's answer to Moosewood Cafe or Swallow Restaurant...bringing a local food movement in to Madison in the 70s. I have the cookbook, apron, and coffee mug with the logo. I just wish I could have one of the morning buns!!!!

My book is well worn and has been taped. Every recipe I have made from this book and taken somewhere does get rave reviews. The recipes tend to be a bit heavy on the butter (hey, we're in the land of dairy), but have all worked well when I have decreased the butter a bit as well.

Crepes:
6 eggs
couple grates of nutmeg
1/3 c flour
1/4 c whole wheat flour (or you can use all white flour as well)
2 T veg oil
1 c water
The original recipe had 1/2t salt in it as well.

I whisk everything together while the pan is heating. I put 2-3T of batter in the pan and swirl it around. If there are holes in the crepe, then I patch them with a bit of batter. When the edges start to curl a bit, flip the crepe over and cook a couple seconds more. Flip the completed crepe onto a plate. If the batter seems a bit thick (or if you save remaining batter in the fridge for another day), just add a tiny bit of water and whisk it in. Stir the batter often before making the next crepe.

Guess what? When we had a French exchange student she was really happy when I made these!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin