Friday, February 4, 2011

Swimming and Brownies and Green Bay Packers


It's the weekend....and this one is full. It's the weekend of a swim meet...and it's our meet(and a big one) so we're busy with volunteering and cooking. With a friend, Kelly, I worked on coordinating a taco bar for meet officials and coaches for Saturday early dinner. Since we coordinated it, we took the items that were left to make on the sign up sheet, and I ended up with two items, rice and dessert. Rice...OK...that's an easy one. Dessert, I decided to make brownies since they are easily transportable.

The brownie recipe I used is in The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook; it's pretty basic and is as follows:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 by 13" pan
In large saucepan melt:
1 c butter
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
Remove from heat and add:
2 c sugar
Allow mixture to cool and then add:
4 eggs
1 c flour
1 t vanilla
Pour into the pan and bake 30-35 minutes.

I almost always end up making brownies for school parties since Eleanor knows that she will be able to have my nut-free dessert. A couple years ago she told me that I needed to "jazz them up a bit" to be a bit more appealing for others. Here's my attempt with some chocolate chips and leftover white chocolate from dirty snowballs in December.

It's quite the weekend here in Wisconsin with the Green Bay Packers in the Superbowl. Wow...for those of us growing up Wisconsin in the 70s and 80s years of sports' drought, this feels great. Both Badgers and Packers had great years in the 90s but it wasn't in the same year. During the 70s I wouldn't have thought Superbowl and RoseBowl were possible on separate years...but the same year...WOW! If only it were the year for winter Olympics, then my spectator sports would be complete.

We'll be sitting in our lucky spots after the meet today to help the Packers win. I'm so glad that Eleanor isn't swimming the 1650, so we'll be home in time for the kickoff.

These pretty cookies are from Regina's Bay Bakery. Often these type cookies are pretty but don't taste very good...these do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin