Friday, July 23, 2010

Zucchini-Potato Pancakes



It is mid July and I am getting zucchini every week from my CSA.  As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I have one child who really dislikes this vegetable, so it has to be well disguised for her to eat it.  She doesn't mind knowing it is in the dish, she just can't be able to taste it.

While searching for yet another zucchini recipe, I came across Potato-Zucchini Skillet Pancakes with Cherry Tomato Salad on Myrecipes.com. I had some baby red potatoes from last week's CSA box so I had planned on using those, but this week we got yukon gold potatoes in the CSA box!  So tonight, I made the pancakes using onions, potatoes and zucchini fresh from Farmer Steve's garden.

This recipe is quick to throw together if you have a food processor...simply insert the shredding blade and shred the potato, zucchini and onion together.  I didn't bother peeling the potatoes, and the recipe calls for matzo meal, which I don't stock in my pantry, so I used Italian breadcrumbs.  I also thought the seasoning seemed a bit bland, so I chopped up 2 large basil leaves and 2 sage leaves(also from my CSA box) and added those.  Rather than add all the fat and calories from the oil, I sprayed a non-stick skillet with cooking spray which worked great to brown the pancakes...I did cook the pancakes a bit longer since the skillet was fairly dry, I wanted to be sure all the egg got cooked as well as the vegetables.

My husband is out of town, so he didn't get to taste these, but the kids and I thought they were a great, light summer meal. The only change I would make it to add more salt and pepper...like a lot of potato dishes, this one needs salt  I skipped the tomato relish and served a tomato-avocado salad with vinaigrette on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin