Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grilled Summer Vegetables

Top picture shows the vegetables before going on the grill, the bottom photo shows the vegetables on the grill, almost ready to serve...

There is nothing more flavorful than grilled vegetables in the summer. This week I had patty pan squash , yellow squash, zucchini, red onion, carrots, cabbage,  chinese cabbage and baby red potatoes from my CSA.

I decided I would make a large batch of grilled vegetables to round out my burger dinner. I made enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day and was able to use everything while still having some zucchini left for another meal.  I have outlined the general approach below, but I don't think any batch of my grilled vegetables has ever been duplicated, every batch is unique! I always include onions, but other than that, the vegetable choice is very flexible.

1 yellow, summer squash
3 patty pan squash
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
1 each, red, yellow and orange pepper (not from the CSA)
1/4 regular cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 small chinese cabbage, leafy part removed, chopped
4-5 whole carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
4-6 small red potatoes

Marinade

2-3 T wine or balsamic vinegar
4-6 T olive oil
Fresh, chopped herbs (I used basil, chive and oregano)

Parboil potatoes(whole and then quarter) and carrots(already cut) until softened, but not fully cooked.  Chop remaining vegetables into large chunks.  Mix all the vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with oil, vinegar and herbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir and allow to marinate about 1 hour, shorter or longer is fine.

Preheat grill.  Place vegetables in a large grilling basket and grill for 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently.  Depending on the vegetables, they could take longer.  I usually allow an hour and if the vegetables are ready before the rest of the meal, I move the basket to a cool area of the grill to keep them warm but stop the grilling process.

Everyone in my family enjoys these vegies. Sometimes a little feta cheese is tossed on top, sometimes parmesan or romano cheese.  Leftovers are often tossed together with pasta and some vinagrette to make a vegie-pasta salad. No matter how they are eaten, they are enjoyed!  We also find that we are eating far more vegetables when I prepare them this way than when I just prepare a side of steamed vegetables...it's all good!









Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin