Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Beef Shoulder Medallions


Medallions in Marinade
Medallions after grilling

Grilled Steak...what's the secret? Well, I decided to write a post about this meal because it was a new cut of meat for me and it was really inexpensive!

Every couple of months Sendik's, my local upscale grocery store, has a meat and seafood sale. During the last sale I came across a package of "beef shoulder medallions", priced at $3.49 a pound...for $10 I would get enough red meat for at least two good sized meals for my family.  The question was, what are they and what can I do with them? A butcher was restocking nearby so I decided to ask him the best approach.  He very politely explained that I would have to marinate the meat for a very long time.  I think he really wanted to say "you will need to marinate the he(ck) out of the them", but he restrained himself.  I asked the follow up question, "so marinate them similarly to flank steak?" His response was, "yes, or longer".
I usually prepare flank steak in a fajita marinade, so I decided to stick with my usual.  I like penzey's fajita spices.  I mix 2 T spice with 2 T water and then add 1/4 cup vegetable oil(recipe is on the back of the jar).  I marinated the medallions for 8 hours and then grilled them.

The finished product was a tasty, tender steak, very similar to flank steak.  There were "veins" of gristle in some of the steaks, but they were small and easy to remove. I served the steak with fresh green and yellow beans and baby red potatoes from my CSA.  A simple, inexpensive, summer supper.





No comments:

Post a Comment

pin