Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July Fare

4th of July in our family means hamburgers, bratwursts and lots of salads laden with mayo. This year I decided to offer one salad that could be classified as healthy! My Recipes.com has a great recipe for Chicken Orzo Salad with Goat Cheese which I have made frequently.  We prefer using feta cheese instead of goat cheese and I usually replace the arugula with either spinach or mixed greens, but the recipe is great. I recently started experimenting with Quinoa.  For those who haven't heard of this great grain, it can be used in salad recipes that call for a small grain such as orzo or rice.  The benefit of Quinoa is that it has a slightly nutty flavor and it is protein rich. To prepare the quinoa you cook it in a two parts water to one part grain ratio similarly to rice and then fluff with a fork, it couldn't be easier.  For the holiday, I replaced the orzo with the quinoa and I omitted the chicken...it was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin