Thursday, February 14, 2013

Morning Buns

Morning Buns:
I love it when a couple things I love come together.  Like a bookstore and a coffee shop.  Like a bookstore, and coffee shop organized run.  You know, stuff like that.  That's how it was when I got the call from my mom that Cook's Country was making morning buns ala Ovens of Brittany style.

Cook's Country, for those of us that are cable-less, is one of the primo cooking shows we can access.  There are a number of others; however, I really enjoy this show where there is often a taste test, and an equipment comparison.  This show was featuring morning food from restaurants, and they were featuring one of my favorite places, Ovens of Brittany.  Ovens, as it was casually known, was THE local food movement place in Madison in the late 70s and early 80s and featured these buns of decadence.  I have looked up some recipes on how to make these over the years, but the ones I have found require many days of planning.  Here's one that works well to make on a Saturday afternoon and have them to eat Sunday morning.  Count me in!

I must confess that I have made these twice.  The first time I made them as the recipe states.  The second time I did not have sour cream but used vanilla non-fat yogurt.  That worked well also and I didn't notice a difference.  I think it's the time I tell you how that decreases the calories...but with 24 tablespoons of butter that seems silly.  It did cut out a few of the calories...kind of like having a Diet coke with a cheeseburger and fries.  I guess it's a good idea to cut where you can, especially if it isn't noticeable.

This is one of those things to enjoy in moderation!  It made for a wonderful winter morning breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin