Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sweet Potato Soup

I have a great squash soup recipe....the one with apples, so I wasn't sure that I needed another one.  But, kinda like a new pair of shoes, I found that I could use this recipe too.

This one has a different taste...likely due to the chipotles and cinnamon.  I really liked this soup, and so did everyone in my house.  I really like to follow Nicole from www.preventionrd.com, 
she often has recipes that look good and make a quick and healthy dinner.  I varied her recipe a bit since I didn't have the celery, a rarely add salt to anything, and used apple juice. 

Sweet Potato and Apple and Chipotle Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 1/2 cups sweet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and chopped
 2 cups (about 1 1/2) apples, peeled and chopped
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1 qt (4 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth
 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup apple juice
Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and stir frequently until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the sweet potatoes, apples, chipotles, broth, apple juice, salt, cinnamon, and black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a strong simmer, cover, and allow to cook about 20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
Using an immersion blender, puree soup, or working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, venting the top. Serve hot.

Where I have I been?  I guess I'm just going through the cycle where blogging is at the bottom of this list.  It's been crazy busy at work the last few weeks, in a good way.  I've tried Y blitz, continued to spin and go to body pump.  It seems like weather is imposing a bit of a break from running due to cold and ice and varying conditions.  I'm still making good food; however, it tends to be repeated recipes.  I'm not sure of my future blogging commitment though.  I still enjoy it, but I wish I had a tiny bit more time to pump it up a bit.  I know, I know, you can make time for whatever is important; however, I really feel like that part is a bit lower on the list.  For now.  So, check back periodically.....I still plan to post...maybe just a bit more sporadically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin