Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Red Quinoa Salad

Red Quinoa Salad......great flavors from a recipe off the Trader Joe's red quinoa bag.  I have to admit that I feel a bit torn about using quinoa since reading about the devastation the harvesting of it for Americans is causing....it's just that I really do like it so I think I will have to invest in the  fair trade option. 

Now that I have cleared my conscince about eating red quinoa I can talk about this recipe.  It really wasn't anything amazing or unusual or special...yet the end result was really good. 

The original result had some grape tomatoes which I omitted and called for cilantro dressing.  I prefer a lighter dressing so the other flavors come through, so I made it as outlined below:

Ingredients
1 c red quiona, rinsed
2 c chicken broth

Cook until the quinoa is done and the broth is absorbed.  Remove from heat and let cool.  Fluff with a fork and add about 1 T olive oil.

2 c corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 2 limes
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, diced

Roast corn in a skillet until it is cooked and add to the quinoa. 
Add the other ingredients, stir, and serve.

I think this would also be good with mango or feta or red pepper.  It's just a good all around idea for something pretty nice to have in the refrigerator.  And now with a fair trade option I can feel even better about eating this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin