Friday, May 17, 2013

Marga-tini, Cilantro Style


Paul and I teamed up to create (or recreate) this fabulous beverage.  We went to the Harley Davidson museum last weekend and then stopped in the restaurant for a drink and an appetizer...just because it was such a beautiful Sunday. Harleys have been a Milwaukee product for 110 years.  Yep, 110 years.  It's a classic Milwaukee thing...and one of my favorite memories was Eleanor and her friends at the 100th selling lemonade as the bikers rode up and down our street.  It was a blast...like having a parade nearly 24 hours a day.  The kids would stand out-side and wave to the bikers.  And the lemonade stand was fun with bikers from all over the world (yes, world) stopping at this lemonade stand and to chat a bit.  They also sold blueberries for 1 cent each and these little girls would count them out for the Harley dudes.  The entire Milwaukee area was quite a party that weekend with,"Welcome Home" signs for the bikes.   Ah...great memories.

I have to admit that I haven't been at the museum before since I'm just not that into motorcycles; however, I enjoyed the historical perspective and how the company has adapted over the years.  The location is beautiful and makes me regret not having seen this before this month.  The restaurant where I had the inspiration for this drink is a beautiful setting...nice architecture, river-side setting, and the cilantro-rita drink.  I'm sold.  

But making these at home seemed like a fun challenge.  I love to try something and then work to re-create it.  This one, while maybe not exact, pleases me with the final product.  

 I ordered this and knew that a re-creation was in order.  The only thing I saw on the menu was the ingredients...and I really don't know if I got those right; however, this was our creation.  

Simple syrup:
1 c water
1 c syrup
5 sprigs cilantro
Bring to a boil and boil until clear.  Let cool to room temperature and remove cilantro.  Refrigerate syrup until ready to use.

3 oz vodka
1-1/2 oz lime juice (taken from a mixture that is 1/4 c sugar and 1/3 c lime juice)
1 -1/2 oz simple syrup
Cilantro and ice in martini shaker with the above, pour into glasses.  Serves 2. 
The picture is without lime garnish and red pepper flakes...that's Paul's recommendation for next time.  And there will be a next time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

pin